Summer rolls with Mediterranean filling – vegan and gluten-free
After a slightly longer break due to work, I’m finally back full of beans and with probably one of my most delicious recipes: light, Mediterranean summer rolls! I LOVE summer rolls and could actually eat them every day. That’s why I’ve always wanted to post a summer roll recipe for you, but I have to admit that there are thousands of recipes out there already. Besides, you don’t really have to unpack your cooking skills for summer rolls, as everything is actually just chopped up and wrapped in rice paper. Definitely not witchcraft!
Yesterday, however, it occurred to me that actually all the recipes you can find always have an Asian filling – why is that? That’s how my idea for the Mediterranean filling came up, and I have to admit: they turned out simply indescribably delicious. Just the thing for hot summer days, super light, healthy, low in calories and simply really delicious! Let’s go! 😉
- 1 plate with water
- 15 rice paper sheet
- 100 g vegan feta cheese
- 100 g smoked tofu
- 50 g rocket salad
- 1 carrot
- ½ red bell pepper
- 50 g fresh basil
- 5 cherry-tomato
- 2 tbsp yeast flakes
- 100 g champignons or other mushrooms
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- some salt and pepper
- 100 g soy yoghurt unsweetened
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp yeast flakes
- 1/2 lemon squeezed
- some salt and pepper
Preparing the mushroom filling
- For the mushroom filling, cut the mushrooms of your choice into small pieces, chop the onion and fry both together with 1 tbsp coconut oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper and let everything cool down.
Fill the summer rolls
- Meanwhile, cut the carrot and pepper into fine strips. Cut the tomatoes and smoked tofu into thin slices, and the vegan feta cheese into small cubes. Wash the rocket and basil briefly under cold water, pluck them into smaller pieces, and drain everything well.
- Now, grab a sheet of rice paper and soak it carefully for about 20 seconds in the plate filled with water. You have to be careful here because it can tear easily when it is still hard.
- Place the soaked rice paper sheet on your work surface and cover it with your prepared ingredients as you like – preferably in the middle, slightly offset downwards. You should not cover more than the surface of 2 fingers. I really like the combination of tomato, tofu, rocket and some fried mushrooms or vegan feta, tomato and basil, for example. I then sprinkle this with some yeast flakes.
- To roll up the roll, fold the sides with the shorter occupancy to the middle. Now roll up your summer roll from the bottom to the top.
- For the yoghurt dip, take the juice of half a lemon, mix it with tahini and about 100 g soy yoghurt. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with yeast flakes. And very important: Enjoy to the fully fullest!
There are no limits to your imagination!
I like summer rolls because you can really let your imagination run wild! For example, you can also use dried tomatoes or finely sliced olives. Or instead of a yoghurt dip, you can simply choose a sauce made from olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a little salt and pepper – just like you get it as an appetizer for dipping with bread at the Italian restaurant. Feel free to let me know how you fill them!
Light, healthy and delicious!
Especially because the ingredients aren’t really processed beforehand, it’s especially important to use high-quality food. Opinions also differ when it comes to tofu or feta. There are countless varieties of tofu out there that are inedible for me – my favourite is the smoked tofu from Taifun. When it comes to vegan feta, I always use Violife (Greek White/Just Like Feta Block)*.
I would be happy if you subscribe to my Facebook fan page – the easiest way to stay up to date. Of course, you can also share this post or my other recipes and blog posts – sharing is caring! <3
*This is an affiliate link. If you buy something using this link, I get a small commission without you having to pay more. But I don’t promote anything I don’t believe in wholeheartedly. Thanks for your support!